Friday, February 18, 2011

Modified Vendetta Research SCP1 Pre-Pre-amp.

The White Tape is some kind of High Temperature heat sealant tape (it can stand up up Temp 300 Degrees C. Just to hold the heavy Golden Jensen Capacitors in Position. These two round metal can is the Dual FET that was the magic of this John Curl 's Golden Box. I have been modifying the Vendetta Research SCP1 Pre-Pre amp for optimized performance.
I had discussed with the Designer John Curl. I can changed for better performance by the followings:
1. Modify the Rectifier diode to fast recovery type
2. Add additional Power smoothing capacitor to 20,000 MFD.
3. Change a better S/N logic IC.
4. He asked me not to touch the Rel-cap 0.1 400V X4
I changed the Output Capacitor from Rel-Cap to Jensen Oil Cap 0.1MFD 400V.
That was about HKD$1,500 a piece.. the four capacitors cost me HKD$6,000.00.
Now the sound is more powerful, very quiet.. and It has been running more than 1 year already., some one told me that Jensen Capacitors is easily go for leakage as it can not be performing in stable condition when itis hot.. But I had not noticed any degradation of the four Gold Capacitors...
I put a few pieces of Ebony on top. It works like magic and the amplifier is even quieter than before.
HK Snob

1 comment: